Monday, June 27, 2011

Venturing out for the first time

Once I had my camera, I buried myself in the manual.  I read everything even though most of it was way over my head.  I snapped a few shots of my dog and was quite impressed of the quality of the pictures.  I was reassured I had picked the right camera.  I then browsed what Photoshop program that I wanted.  I decided on Photoshop Elements because it stated it was easier to use and of course the price tag was MUCH lower.

I then decided to take my camera out and put it to use.  Living in the historic part of town has its perks, and I knew there were lots of things for me to photograph.  Putting that camera strap around my neck for the first time, I can only say that it probably compares to a superhero suiting up for the first time.  I went and looked in the mirror and said to myself, "Yep, this is it.  I'm a photographer now.  I don't even need to take any pictures."

After my pep talk in the mirror, I set out to do some snapping.  And I must confess this...even though I'm a beginner, there was a little voice in the back of my head saying, psh..you're going to be a natural.  Every shot you're about to take is going to be spectacular.  I'm not sure there was ever a more wrong assumption.  Almost all the shots looked like crap on my camera.  I kept thinking to myself that maybe I'm doing something wrong.  The only pictures I felt looked good were the close ups of flowers, but I keep shooting.

Coming back home, I felt like the trip was a failure even though it was a lot of fun otherwise.  I decided to upload the pictures and see what I could do with them.  After editing them, I realized they weren't so bad...at least to my eye.  Actually, most of them I loved.  It was in that moment I knew that Photoshop Elements was going to be my best friend.

These are some of the shots I captured.















Nothing to write home about, but for me, it was a good first attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment